|Swiss Government Excellence PhD Scholarships for foreign students photo credit: Swiss German University FB|
History or background of award
This Award is offered by the Swiss Government through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students FCS.
Purpose of award
To enable selected applicants to undertake a PhD in one of the 10 Swiss Public Universities, the two Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology and public teaching and research institutes
The Scholarship is only valid for full time PhD studies in Switzerland. It is not valid for mixed PhD programs (part time in Switzerland and part time in a third country)
Eligibility Criteria and specific conditions:
* First class Master degree or equivalent University degree
* The candidate should not be more than 35 years old at the moment of the application
* Applicants should be residing in their home country at the moment of the application. Applicants who are in Switzerland since more than 1 year are not eligible
* Applicants must provide a letter (e-mail) from a Professor from the Swiss host institution stating that he/she is willing to supervise the PhD
* In the case where the PhD is run within a structured doctoral school applicants must provide an admission letter or proof that they are being considered for admission
* Applicants must apply to the chosen Swiss University as well as for the scholarship. The 2 procedures are separate and must be simultaneously undertaken.
* Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe (this is the central piece of the application). The applicant must devote all required attention to it)
* Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the PhD studies
Number of awards offered
see 'Additional information'
Tenure of award
3 years maximum
Closing dates for applications
Mid November annually
How do students apply?
Eligible applicants may request the application package at [email protected]
Information on Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then analyzed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) which subsequently takes the final decision.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Scholarship commences in September.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Copies of all university certificates and grade-sheets (all copies must be attested, and translated if originals are not in English, German, French or Italian). Attestations can be done by the University or a Government Officer.
* letters of recommendation from Professors in the applicants field (use exclusively the official reference form provided with the application package)
* A complete research proposal (approx. 5 pages), including a work schedule as well an overview of the research work conducted until now that could be relevant for the granting of the fellowship
* A full curriculum vitae with list of academic publications
* A copy of the confirmation from a Professor at the intended Swiss University that he/she is willing to supervise the Postdoctoral Research.
* A health certificate (use the official health certificate provided with the application package)
* A copy of the passport (main page with personal data)
The scholarship amounts to a monthly payment of 1920 Swiss Francs (tax free net amount) Exemption of the tuition fees (except for EPFL)
* Mandatory Swiss Health insurance paid by the FCS (for non-European grantees only)
* A lump sum for air fare for non-European grantees only (provided at the end of the scholarship)
* Special 300 Swiss Francs lodging allowance (paid once at the beginning of the scholarship)
* 1 year half-fare public transportation card
* Counseling and various trips, dinners and sigh seeing tours organized for Swiss Government Scholarship holders.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Executive Assistant to the Ambassador
Embassy of Switzerland
Swiss Embassy in Wellington
PO Box 25004,
Phone: +64 4 472 1593
Email: [email protected]