Saturday, December 13, 2014

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships

The Japanese Government  through MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese
universities as research students every year.

Fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research at Japanese universities.
Keep in mind, however, that the field of study may be restricted to particular fields by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General.(hereinafter referred to as the “Japanese diplomatic mission”)
A student who majors in medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a permit from the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws. Majors in traditional entertainment such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or in subjects that seek practical training in specific technologies or techniques at
factories or companies are excluded.

2. Qualification
The following must be met to qualify for this scholarships.
- Applicants  must be from countries that Japan has diplomatic relationship
- must be not older than 40 years
- Must have qualification equivalent to Japanese Qualification
- Must willing to learn Japanese Language

3. Scholarship Benefits
Allowance: Under the fiscal 2012 budget, each grantee will be provided monthly with 143,000 yen (Research Student course), 144,000 yen (students
enrolled in a Master’s program or a professional degree program), or 145,000 yen (students enrolled in a doctoral program) (an additional monthly
stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be provided to those undertaking study or research in specially designated regions). However, these amounts are
subject to change depending on the annual budget of each year. The scholarship will not be paid to a grantee who takes a leave of absence or is long
absent from his/her university.
Travel Allowance: Travel allowances including tickest are made available. 

4. How to apply 
Each applicant must submit three sets of the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission by the specified date. One set is required to be
original documents. The other two sets may be photocopies thereof. (original) (copy)
(1) ① Application (a prescribed form) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 3
(2) ② Application Form (Attachment) (a prescribed form)・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・1
(3) ③ Research Program (Attachment) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
(4) Photograph (4.5×3.5 cm, taken within the past six months, upper body, full-faced, uncapped.
Write your name and nationality on the reverse and paste it onto the application
form. Digital photographs also acceptable) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 4
(5) ④ Academic transcript of each academic year of the last university attended (issued by the
university attended) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
(6) ⑤ Graduation certificate or degree certificate of the last university attended (or an attested
document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable) ・・・・・・ 1 2
(7) ⑥ Recommendation from the principal or the adviser of the last university attended ・・・・・ 1 2
(8) ⑥ Recommendation from the present employer (if currently employed) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
(9) ⑦ Medical certificate on the prescribed form (issued by the medical institution designated
by the Japanese diplomatic mission)・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
(10) ⑧ Abstracts of theses ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
(11) ⑨ Photograph showing applicant's own works of art or a recorded tape of musical performance
(only for those majoring in fine arts or music) ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ 1 2
Note 1: These documents must be written in either Japanese or English. A document written in any other language must be attached with a
Japanese or English translation.
Note 2: Photographs attached to the original application must be originals; copies are not acceptable.
Note 3: Field of specialization and research program documents should clearly describe the applicant’s own research program because it will
serve as important materials for placement of the applicant at a university.
Note 4: The academic transcripts of the last university attended should be prepared to show the grade scale applied and the grades earned by the
applicant on all the subjects studied for each year studied at a university department/faculty and a graduate school. (A degree certificate
or a graduation certificate simply showing the ranking of the applicant at graduation will not substitute for academic transcripts.)
Note 5: The graduation certificate and the degree certificate obtained from the last university attended may be substituted for by a photocopy
thereof provided that the copy is attested by the authorized person of the university.
Note 6: For abstracts of the theses, abstracts of the graduation thesis and presented papers will suffice. Please note that these abstracts will be
used as basic data for evaluation of the applicant’s academic ability.
Note 7: Number the documents from ① to ⑨ in the right upper corner.

For more information on how to download the application forms, please visit the site below.