Study in the United States of America: There is a great Scholarship opportunity for International Students to study in the United States. This scholarship is called International Merit Scholarships and it is offered by the Iowa State University in the US.
The Iowa State University is inviting applications for offering International Merit Scholarships for the academic year 2017-2018. The International Merit Scholarship is awarded to students who have demonstrated strong academic achievement, and outstanding talent or achievements.
Iowa State is an international university with a friendly welcoming personality. Students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries come to Ames, Iowa, to choose from 100 majors, study with world-class scholars and hone their leadership skills in 800-plus student organizations. Iowa State offers a great environment where students can enjoy reaching their potential and discovering their passions.
Scholarship is available to pursue the undergraduate programme.
Fields of Study
Scholarship is awarded to learn any of the courses offered by the university.
Scholarship Benefits: There are two international Merit Scholarship levels (see below). Freshmen and transfer applicants are eligible for both levels of awards.
Level Scholarship Amount
Gold $8,000/year (renewable) *
Cardinal $4,000/year (renewable) *
* Freshman recipients will be funded for a maximum of 8 semesters, or completion of the degree, whichever comes first.
* Transfer recipients will be funded for a maximum of 5 semesters, or completion of the degree, whichever comes first.
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
Incoming international freshmen applicants and international transfer applicants with fewer than 66 transferable semester credits.
The following criteria must be met during your Iowa State career to maintain the scholarship:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 while enrolled at Iowa State
- Continuous enrollment in a minimum of 12-semester credits each semester (summers not included)
- Only students assessed non-resident tuition are eligible for this award
- The award may only be used toward undergraduate tuition and fees
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: Students must have minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 while enrolled at Iowa State.
English language and Test Requirements: For the purpose of applying for admission to Iowa State University, English may be considered your primary language only if you have been raised in an environment where English is the ONLY official language of your locality and nation, and English has been the primary language used in your home.
Applicants whose primary language is not English must meet the English proficiency requirement by any one of the options listed below.
Option Minimum Score or Grade Required
TOEFL Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) score of 71 with a minimum score of 17 in both the Writing and Speaking sections
Paper-Based TOEFL (PBT) score of 530
IELTS Overall band score of 6.0 with no sub score below 5.5
PTE Score of 48
SAT If test was taken prior to March 2016, Critical Reading (CR) score of 420
If test was taken in March 2016 or later, Evidence-Based Writing and Reading (EWR) score of 460
ACT English sub-score of 19
Scores from any of the exams above must be sent to Iowa State University directly from the testing agency. Scanned copies, photocopies, and web results are not accepted. Below is the Iowa State University reporting code used by each testing agency:
Testing Agency Iowa State University Code
IELTS IELTS does not utilize institutional codes
PTE PTE does not utilize institutional codes
How to Apply for this scholarshp: Application Requirements
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) comparable to a minimum of 3.0 out of 4.0 (B)
- The SAT is not required, but if submitted, it will be considered
- A resume or CV listing your achievements
- One letter of recommendation
- A 500-word essay. You may write something that will help the committee get to know you better and tell us why you deserve the award, or you may answer one of the questions provided on the scholarship application form
- Applicants must be international students and must have completed an international application for admission.
Deadline: Applying for the Scholarship
Term Application Deadline
Fall March 1
Spring October 1
Photo credit: Iowa State University
Photo credit: Iowa State University
Next Scholarship: University of Westminster Full International Scholarships in UK